Letting the world help us design and build our "Dream Home."

My Army career is winding down after 23+ years and we've decided to live in Texas. Now it's time to build the house of our dreams...but we've never done this. So we want (need) the best and freshest ideas to build the home we'll live and raise our family in. WELCOME and thanks for your help.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

The other reason I'm building Green - Sun, Veterans, and Entrepreneurship

I might be going off topic with this blog but hang with me - everything is related - I promise!

For those that know me and have seen my LinkedIn profile, you know I want to be involved in renewable energy for my next career after the Army...although I hate to say it, at a certain point, all Soldiers eventually retire when it's time to leave the helicopter flying, parachuting, commuting into the Pentagon (ok, that's not super fun) to somebody else.  I'm not the first Colonel to see that the end of the fun is closer than the beginning and it's only smart that I start planning now.

So what does one do...some become defense contractors in all sorts of support functions or go into government service.  These are important.  Others like me, are very interested in doing something totally new.  But for me, it's important to do something that I think is valuable to the nation, something that makes the United States better, stronger, more vibrant.  Something I can be completely, totally, 110% passionate about.

I want to be part of renewable energy!  I think it's absolutely essential for this nation's future strength.  So this brings me to two articles I've come across in my readings.

This from the WSJ: 

Why Vets Are Likely Entrepreneurs

 
I'll summarize - Vets both young and old (correction...older) are in great positions to be entrepreneurs.  Good skills and as importantly, financially able with a military retirement to take a leap whereas fear of financial  failure may hold others back.  There, I've said it - I'd like to be some sort of renewable entrepreneur...but what is that first step and in what direction?  I think building this house is going to open my mind up to the  opportunities in Central Texas - who does solar, small wind, geothermal, radiant heating???  The list goes on and on.

So here is the second article and I have to say this was quite the shocker...


California, Oregon, Massachusetts, New York, and Colorado Top the Nation in Clean Energy Leadership

By REW.com Editors
May 20, 2011   |   1 Comment
Clean Edge's U.S. clean energy leadership index provides companies, Investors, and governments with critical data and insights on the clean energy landscape.

Where is Texas???  Well, we're actually #18.  I thought we'd be much better because for those of you who live here, you know it's sunny and windy.  And this state is so business friendly!!  We've got the innovative (crazy) Austinites!  Why aren't we in the top 5?

So, this is one reason I've chosen to live in Texas - there is just so much potential to match the renewable possibilities with the plethora of smart, eager, educated, hungry military veterans who still want to do something important for their country.

The other reason...well, if you've ever spent a spring or fall here you'd understand!




4 comments:

  1. I love your enthusiasm!!!! I hope that you can make renewable energy more important to Texans. I sometimes wonder if there is just too much oil and oil thinking here in Texas. Here's hoping you can bring about change! Let me know if I can help! In the meantime, I'll keep posting on Facebook and being a part of the Cool House Tour. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. KC, thanks for the words. I think the grassroots support - one house (and LOW power bill) at a time is a compelling story that will get more and more to look into what green building can do for them, their communities, and their wallets. Now combine that with the right policies, and energetic people and we'll get some real movement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scot - Here's probably my one and only, ever, contribution to your blog (which I enjoy, btw). I ran across in on the Braves website - they recently installed a rainwater collection system at Turner Field:

    http://www.ecovieenvironmental.com/

    Not sure how rainwater collection technologies will fit into Killeen and your home - you all will get only 34 inches per year compared to our 54 or so, but I have been considering it for our home near Atlanta...

    And doesn't any modern green home need to have separate fresh and grey water inlets, for when that is supplied in the future?

    Lastly, this system purports to make use of grey water "produced" in the home:
    http://www.sloanaqus.com/

    All interesting stuff. Good Luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Redcatcher27! Bert - I checked out the sites already and now have bookmarked them for future use. Very impressive that you know that central Texas gets 34 inches of rain per year so you know why this interests me. I'm now intrigued about rainwater collection for possible inside house use like showers, washing clothes, etc. Definitely a build in the house process and not an afterthought. Hope to see you on here more often! Scot

    ReplyDelete