Letting the world help us design and build our "Dream Home."

My Army career is winding down after 23+ years and we've decided to live in Texas. Now it's time to build the house of our dreams...but we've never done this. So we want (need) the best and freshest ideas to build the home we'll live and raise our family in. WELCOME and thanks for your help.

Friday, May 6, 2011

Let's get serious now...the lot and the neighbors' homes

Alright, we've made the introductions so you know who we are and why we're going to Texas.  Jen has posted her first quick blogs to get in the groove - now it's time to get some feedback from the web community.

Here is where we are going to build - "The Ridge" in Harker Heights, Texas.  Now when we bought this about five years ago, there were very few neighbors here and these two homes were not built either.  So as I figure out what can go on our Lot 26, I think it would help us all if we saw the style of what is there and the lot characteristics.

First, the lot.  118 feet of street width.  Over an acre but much of this is the slope that looks toward the lake.   There is a moderate slope from the street that will require a retaining wall (or perhaps a smart home design??!!).  There is sewerage and underground utilities.  You can barely see the view toward Stillhouse Hollow Lake in this pic - I promise, it's a great view looking toward the east/southeast (I know you solar fans are going to eventually ask)

 We have two neighbors who I have not yet met.  I think this house on the left is just stunning.  Modern but still "comfortable."  Jen likes the stone.  I think this could be an inspiration for us for sure.
 Another view of this home on the left.  Note the retaining wall and although you might not know, it is canted so the back has the best view to the lake.

This is the house on the right.  A simpler house design.  This pic gives you an idea of the offset from the street.  Also - no wooden fences allowed.  Only metal/rod iron so that nobody loses a view.  I'll want to build something that minimizes or eliminates the view obstruction for my neighbor on the left.

I think I said it but we face to the east.  I bought this deliberately because the setting west sun in Texas is HOT!  But...the lot directly across the street is so narrrow, it may not even have a house so I want to consider a second story or perhaps an upper deck/patio that allows us to see the pretty Texas sunset - but minimizes the heating effect.  We're going to make this house the model of energy efficiency!

So, say hello to the neighbors!  Two nice homes and I'm sure two great future neighbors.  I hope this gives you ideas for recommendations.

The next post??  We might jump into the renewable features we're looking to integrate.  Until then, spread the word, and send this link to your architect and building buddies

No comments:

Post a Comment