Letting the world help us design and build our "Dream Home."

My Army career is winding down after 23+ years and we've decided to live in Texas. Now it's time to build the house of our dreams...but we've never done this. So we want (need) the best and freshest ideas to build the home we'll live and raise our family in. WELCOME and thanks for your help.

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Saw the most interesting home (and person) in Salado yesterday

We had the most interesting and enjoyable visit/discovery yesterday.

Long story short for this blog...Passive House Jake told us about an old friend, Stephen, from Salado, who was an "artist / builder" (and I'll add to this shortly) who might possibly put Jake's Passive House ideas into action.

We do like the idea of a local builder who can be around to supervise progress and from Jake's descriptions of his house, I was intrigued.  A google earth search later, there was no doubt I found the right house so yesterday, I figured we'd drop by to introduce ourselves.

Ashley met us on the long driveway and was extremely gracious to allow us into their great home to wait for Stephen, but Stephen showed up right away and I've got to say, I was once again just fascinated talking to another advocate for sustainable, enduring building techniques.

I think it would be safe to say finding the equivalent of Stephen's house in Austin (and read the next blog entry for more on this) might not be terribly difficult, but to find this in Salado, Bell County Texas...what a find!  Rainwater collection via a 150 yard beautiful rock way system, use of corrugated steel, absolute perfection in its south orientation to maximize use of the sun, beautiful handmade furniture from an obviously experienced craftsman father.  I really had a great time and to Ashley - I'm sorry I took up so much of a precious weekend.  I hope Stephen was as excited about my project as we are.

Stephen and I exchanged emails and phone numbers as well as the address to this blog (which does continue to introduce me to people who can help us build this project).

So just as you know "Passive House Jake," I hope Stephen is comfortable with "Artist / Builder / Renaissance (ABR) Man Stephen."  ABR Stephen had such a great working, but demonstrated in action through his own home, knowledge of energy efficient, sustainable practices.  And was quick to say what he learned and would do over again - we like that and hope to work more with ABR Stephen in the future.

...and the wood ceiling will really look nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment