Letting the world help us design and build our "Dream Home."

My Army career is winding down after 23+ years and we've decided to live in Texas. Now it's time to build the house of our dreams...but we've never done this. So we want (need) the best and freshest ideas to build the home we'll live and raise our family in. WELCOME and thanks for your help.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

House plans are complete!

Finally!  It's been a great experience with Curtis Cook of Salado.  Jen and I are thrilled to have the finished plans and ready to start the building process.  A copy of this was sent to my past mortgage broker/banker...same person who financed (and refinanced) my last home in Harker Heights.

So what do we have??  An open floor plan designed for our family.  A small craft room for Jen (she deserves it after years of boxes), an innovative home gym (garage doors are the vogue!) and very important for my own professional future...a solar ready roof over the garage, free of all panel obstacles, at the right pitch for optimum solar gain.  On that, I learned that there are many different "optimum models" for best solar angle.  We settled for a 7/12 pitch which is about 30 degrees.  The roof orientation is approx due south and while I would have preferred a slightly west of due south orientation for max gain during peak load periods, one quickly finds out that compromises and economic value decisions are a fact of life.

I'm sure this won't be the first compromise.  Now we get to the "wants versus needs" stage combined with our own personal "1 to n" list.  As always, I'll keep you informed.




1 comment: